1. What does JMU do?
Japan Maritime United Corporation ("JMU") is a shipbuilding company, headquartered in Japan but with affiliates across Asia and Europe.Our products include container ships, tankers and ferries and our services include ship repairs, offshore engineering and extensive research into new shipping technologies. Our sales offices around the world connect us to potential buyers.
For more information about JMU, please see the “Company Profile” section of the JMU website.
2. What personal information does JMU collect and why?
The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
Information that you provide
Certain parts of our Website may ask you to provide personal information:
Purchase of goods or services
If you make an enquiry to purchase any services or goods through our Website, we will collect your telephone number, email, delivery address, billing address, job details and company details. If you proceed to purchase we will collect you company's financial details. The purpose is to process and deliver your order, and collect money owed to us.
We also collect the same information when we take an enquiry offline or over the phone.
Some of the personal information that you provide may include sensitive personal information, such as details about past criminal records of superintendents of shipowners and vendors, which is required under regulations in some jurisdictions.
Information that we collect automatically
When you visit our Website, we collect certain information automatically from your device, which is considered personal data under applicable data protection laws.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically will include information such as your IP address, broad geographic location (e.g., country-level location). We use this information for our internal analytics purposes only.
Some of this information is collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further under the heading “Cookies and similar tracking technology” below. The purpose is to administer and improve our Website.
Information that we obtain from third party sources
From time to time, we may receive personal information about you from third party sources but only where we have checked that these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to us.
We use the information we receive from these third parties to maintain and improve the accuracy of the records we hold about you. In Greece, for example, it is common practice to build family trees of shipowners for the purpose in this Privacy Notice.
3. Who does JMU share my personal information with?
We share your personal information with the following categories of recipients:
- Our group companies, who process personal information for purposes that are described in this Privacy Notice. A list of our current group companies to/from whom we transfer/receive personal data is available here.
- third party services providers and partnerswho provide data processing services to us (for example, to support the delivery of, provide functionality on, or help to enhance the security of our Websites, or who otherwise process personal information for purposes that are described in this Privacy Notice.)
We work with the following types of third-party service providers: (i) web hosting services (such as Internet Initiative Japan, Inc), who receive user personal data; (ii) HR software providers (such as Toshiba Digital Solutions Corporation), who receive employee data.
- any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- an actual or potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with any actual or proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Privacy Notice; or
- any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
4. Legal basis for processing personal information (European visitors only)
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it. We have set out a description of all the ways we will use your personal data and which of the legal bases we rely on to do so, in the table below.
|Purpose/Activity||Type of data||Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest|
|To register you as
a new customer
|To process and
with you which
|To administer and
protect our business
and this website
data analysis, testing,
and hosting of data)
|To use data analytics to
improve our Website,
to meet regulatory
criminal history of
shipowners and vendors.
||Under Article 6 of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
5. Cookies and similar tracking technology
6. How does JMU keep my personal information secure?
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information. Specific measures we use include utilising relevant encryption methods such as SSL to protect your personal information in transit .
7. International data transfers
In some cases your personal information is transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country.
Specifically, some Website servers are located in Japan, and our group companies and third party service providers and partners operate in the UK, the Netherlands, Singapore and China. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in any of these countries.
Where we transfer your personal information from the EEA/UK to Japan, we rely on the relevant “adequacy decision”, which recognises Japan as adequate. Where we transfer your personal information from Japan to the EEA/UK we rely on the relevant “adequacy decision” which recognises Europe as adequate.
Where the transfer is not subject to an adequacy decision or regulations, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice. The safeguards we use in transfers: (i) from Europe are the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses as issued on 4 June 2021, modules 1 and 2, and the UK Addendum; and (ii) from Japan in accordance with the obligations on the Act on the Protection of Personal Information. All group companies are required to protect personal information that they process from their respective region in accordance with applicable data protection law.
Our Standard Contractual Clauses can be provided on request, although any sensitive commercial information may be redacted.
We retain the personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements). In certain circumstance, we will need to keep your information for legal reasons after our contractual relationship has ended. The specific retention periods depend on the nature of the information and why it is collected and processed and the nature of the legal requirement.
上When we have no ongoing legitimate business need or legal reason to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
9. Your data protection rights
Depending on your location, you may have the following data protection rights. To exercise any of them see specific instructions below or contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- You may access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information.
- You may access third party provision records of your personal information.
- You can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information.
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time.
- If we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a supervisory authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local supervisory authority. (Contact details for supervisory authorities in Europe are available here.) Certain supervisory authorities may require that you exhaust our own internal complaints process before looking into your complaint.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
10. Updates to this Privacy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, regulatory, technical or business developments. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make.
You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Privacy Notice.